Thursday, December 11, 2008

Reflective Letter

Jessica Ackerman
12-5-08
Reflective Letter


>>>>>The second day of class is when we truly started learning these essay process’s, though most of us didn’t realize that. Until then, I wondered why we were learning all of these different things that, at the time, seemed out of the blue. I realize now that were learning all these things to build into our essays. I’m thankful for all of the things we did in class, though sometimes it was boring. If it wasn’t for what we learned in class, I bet that my essays wouldn’t be as well written as they are now, even though I still have things that I need to work on. The writing process for me was long and sometimes complicated, however I know my essays are well written and I learned new things about my writing processes.
>>>>> I learned that outlines are what helped me the most. Before, the outlines I did were web outlines, the kind you see in elementary school. Now, I’ve learned how to do proper outlines that are completely different from the ones I did before. Using the outline that I was taught this quarter has drastically improved my essays. I’ve realized that if you write a thorough outline, half of your essay is already written. It was also very beneficial to learn about different interpretations from other writers, and how that could influence our writing and perspectives. Also, it was beneficial by using different templates to enhance our writing. It wasn’t necessarily about what others wanted from us; it was about what we wanted to share to them through my writing. I thought the writing process greatly influenced the quality in my essays, though I do think that writing my theses and sometimes I over think the processes, are what I struggle with the most.

>>>>>To attend Puget Sound Early College, I was required to write and essay on something that I was passionate about. I wish I could have learned everything with in the quarter before I turned in that essay. I’ve learned so much more about writing from taking Writing 101 than I’ve ever learned before. When I wrote that essay, it was last minute and probably not as well written as it could have been. The only thing I really did know about that essay, at the time, was what I was passionate about. I wrote that essay because I thought that kids still in school should be taught more about HIV/Aids because it has become a worldwide problem, but it’s increasing in the United States. When I first wrote this essay, before I made my edits, it was the start of my progression. I have greatly improved in my writing qualities throughout this quarter.

>>>>> When we started Bacon’s Rebellion, our very first essay of the quarter, I remember thinking to myself that I would do horrible. I regret thinking that now because even though I maybe didn’t get the best grade on it, it was my improvement. I improved tremendously in my writing as I wrote that essay. The Bacon’s Rebellion essay was everything I had just learned all in one and I thought that I had improved greatly from my entry essay. I think that with the revisions I’ve made to my Bacon’s Rebellion essay, that as far as quality, it is the best essay I’ve written. The Bacon’s rebellion essay has shown not only the readers but myself as well, my improvements as a writer.

>>>>>I feel that my progression throughout this quarter has greatly improved. If I hadn’t learned what I’ve learned throughout the quarter I would still be the same writer as I was when I first walked in the doors to PSEC. Every time I write an essay, now, it shows my improvement and my strengths. Though I do still need to improve on my weaknesses, the accomplishments I’ve made are far greater than anything I’ve done. Writing 101 has shown me that it’s never to late to progress in writing.

No comments: